Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The Queen’s Chronicles: THE QUEEN’S ADVENTURES IN THE SOUTH

I am just back from a two-week trip Through Virginia and North Carolina with The Queen of My Self.

I started with a wonderful workshop at The Creative Healing Institute in Fairfax, VA. Thanks so much to Queen dava money who organized the event and proved herself to be a wonderful hostess. It was an intensely layered day with a group of women who were open and so honest in their sharing.

Then I went on to tour Yogaville with my guides, the lovely Letitia and William Swain. What an amazing spiritual community this is with an extraordinary Lotus Shrine to all the religious faiths in the world. This multicultural, nondenominational tribute was very inspiring and fed my devotion to such eclectic, ecumenical spirituality. Thanks to the Swains for their generous hospitality.

On to the mountains in west of North Carolina. A quick stop in Asheville to sign some books at Malaprop’s Bookstore, then I was back on the road. When I left home, the trees in New York hadn’t started to change yet, but as I climbed into the mountains, I drove right into a Technicolor fall. How gorgeous. The elevation was just high enough to produce fantastic foliage. I followed the winding mountain roads as they snaked in and out of North Carolina, Tennessee and Georgia. Each hairpin turn took me further into the color.

I spent two delightful days with nearly 50 women at their Unitarian Universalist WomenSpirit Institute at The Mountain Retreat Center in Highlands, NC. I was proud to have been chosen the special guest presenter for this, their 20th anniversary gathering. We had an amazing all day workshop, which ended by crowning lots and lots of new Queens, each Queen wearing a crown of her own making. Each woman was more lovely and spirited than the next, and once again I was overwhelmed with just how wonderful we women are.

The last Queen event was in New Bern, NC where Queen Nancy Pocklington hosted a workshop at her massage center. Not only did she gather a great group of women, she served us a fantastic homemade vegetarian banquet. Thanks so much, Nancy. How wonderful to end the trip with this bunch of gals who were profound and piquant and lots of fun.

The trip ended in Washington, DC where I met my collaborator, Daile Kaplan and we spent a day hanging the exhibit that we co-curated called, Daring Dames: A Century of Photographs of Adventurous Women. The show opens on Saturday, November 3 and will be up until June. If you will be in Washington during the next months, do make sure to see it at the National Headquarters of the Society of Woman Geographers at 415 East Capitol Street SE, Washington, DC 20003.
For information and reservations, call 202-546-9228.

So now I am back just in time to lead the world famous Greenwich Village Halloween Parade tomorrow night. I was invited to lead the parade with blessings, which I am delighted and honored to do.

But that is another story…

No comments: