Friday, November 16, 2007

The Queen’s Chronicles: HOME SWEET HOME

I’m home. I’m HOME. I’M HOME!!!

I have been on the road on and off for the past three years. Never home for more than six weeks at a time. Always off to another talk, another bookstore appearance, another workshop.

Mind you, I am not complaining. I have been to some great places and met thousands of incredible women. I’ve seen lots of lovely sights, had many amazing conversations and shared the spirit in some extraordinary rituals.

But I have packed and unpacked and repacked one bag too many!

Now I am home for the entire winter. I don’t have any travel plans until late March when my spring schedule intensifies and takes me to Pennsylvania and then Massachusetts, Northern California, and the Pacific Northwest. Which means that I will be home for almost five months until then. Which is perfect, as I hate to travel in winter and I love to hibernate and nest. What bliss!

All I want to do for a while is cook and clean and transplant my plants. Putter around my house and dance to my favorite CDs. File all the loose papers in the piles on my desk. Write in my journals and do some creative work. Take long walks and longer baths.

I used to do these things all the time as a matter of course. But my travel schedule came to dominate my existence. I was always either away, preparing to go away or recovering from having been away.
This made having a balanced, relaxed life here in NYC very difficult. Let alone having a social life like a normal person.

But now that I am back, I am reconstructing a life rich with the pleasures of communion and conviviality. Already this week I found time to have tea with two lovely women. Tomorrow I will host a small party for my dear Blessing Band. And Sunday I will make a beautiful brunch for eight.

Is life paradise or what? I am so happy to be home.

1 comment:

Karen in Kansas said...

Blessings Mama Donna-
You make me smile, am also home and ready for the peace and reflection of the winter. Enjoy-Karen in Kansas